Pro-Heel-Wrestling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pro-Heel-Wrestling

For All Your Wrestling Needs, Please Redirect To The New Forum http://wweandtna.niceboard.org

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

the best backstage stories from RING OF HELL and WCW book

Go down 
+4
villarule19
bazz23-v2 ®™
\/Chopsticks
Marty McFry
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Marty McFry
Wrestling God
Wrestling God
Marty McFry

the best backstage stories from RING OF HELL and WCW book Empty
PostSubject: the best backstage stories from RING OF HELL and WCW book   the best backstage stories from RING OF HELL and WCW book EmptySat Aug 09, 2008 9:28 pm

I got Ring of hell and the death of WCW thursday and have just finished reading them.
Although the author of ROH gives a very one sided account of the wrestling business and specifically Vince and Benoit some of the quoted backstage stories in it are very interesting.
As are the ones in Death of WCW.

Below are the best ones.

Hulk Hogan:

When Hulk Hogan signed for WCW he had a contract for the 1st year that garunteed he could book his own match layouts, angles, promos and fueds,lenghs of matches and fueds, everyone knows that but what I didnt realise was WCW bookers also had to run EVERYTHING they did or wanted to do past him if it was deemd that it could directly or indirectly effect him.
For example WCW announcers were not permitted to put over anybody if it made them sound like they were better at something than Hogan so no "Ron Simmons there with the most destructive clothesline in all of WCW"

After Hogans 1st year in WCW fans began to boo his superman act much like they do Cena today he told Eric Bischoff that he was not happy with the amount of times announcers were putting him over and this was probably why fans "thought they didn't like him" (his contract stated Hogan be mentioned at least once per 12 minutes on Nitro and WCW Saturdy, a show that Hogan very rarely appeared on)
He had this doubled meaning for every 6 minutes of Nitro live tv time Hulk Hogans name had to be mentioned in a positive light or his image had to be shown on the screen at least once.

ever wondered why the 1st ever live monday Nitro was held in the mall of America as opposed to a 20,000 seat arena befitting such a high profile show? the answer is immediatly proceding nitro Hulk Hogan opened a 'Hulk Hogan endorsed restaurant' in the mall and didn't want to have to travel in a hurry to make Nitro (which had 5 plugs for the restaurant during its 1hr 35min Live time) this cost WCW about $400,000 in lot revenue from ticket and merch sales.

Hulk Hogan once stopped Benoit backstage at Nitro after match 6 of his best of 7 series (a fued designed by Hogan and Bischoff to keep Benoit and Booker away from the upper tier of WCW - it had the opposite effect - Hogan thought fans would boo the two for having the same match every week which would convince management neither was right to be considered for a main event fued) anyway backstage Hogan actively sought out Benoit and heeped praise on him for the quality of matches and success of the fued, promising benoit a title fued 'sooner rather than later' the two shook hands and set off in opposite directions but Benoit then realised he was actually meant to be heading the same way as Hogan, Hogan not realising Benoit was behind him then walked alongside Kevin Nash who also didn't know Benoit had turned, Nash asked 'What was that all about' Hogan replied 'I was just telling the midget not to get any ideas [about his career following the Booker fued] I told him everyone knows that if we rolled you in shit you wouldn't draw flies'
Benoit didn't say a word and to the day the book was published neither Hogan nor Nash knew Benoit was there.

During Chris Jerichos time in WCW he estimates Hogan only ever talked to him twice and neither of those times was about business, however at Owen Harts funeral Hogan made a point to find Jericho and ask him if it was true he would be letting his contract expire and joining WWE, when Jericho said it was Hogan said 'could you take me with ya, Brother'
Oh the irony!

These are just the stories concerning Hogan, there are loads more about lots of other stars but I'll only post them if people are reading and enjoying the above.

Please let me know if you want the rest?
Back to top Go down
\/Chopsticks
Wrestling God
Wrestling God
\/Chopsticks

PostSubject: Re: the best backstage stories from RING OF HELL and WCW book   the best backstage stories from RING OF HELL and WCW book EmptySat Aug 09, 2008 9:37 pm

WOW! Hogan really is! up his own arse every 6 minutes i didnt see any old WCW other than the stuff i watch online or burn to dvd however i might go watch a old nitro know as iv only seen ppvs lol.

Someone ive always wonderd about though is Scott Steiner any info on him would be acepted welcomley Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://thewrestling.niceboard.net/index.htm
Marty McFry
Wrestling God
Wrestling God
Marty McFry

PostSubject: Re: the best backstage stories from RING OF HELL and WCW book   the best backstage stories from RING OF HELL and WCW book EmptySat Aug 09, 2008 9:50 pm

there were plenty of Steiner stories in the WCW book but most of the stories are common knowledge.

Make a topic asking for some Steiner stories, im sure Gaffer knows a few.
Back to top Go down
\/Chopsticks
Wrestling God
Wrestling God
\/Chopsticks

PostSubject: Re: the best backstage stories from RING OF HELL and WCW book   the best backstage stories from RING OF HELL and WCW book EmptySat Aug 09, 2008 9:52 pm

I might the only reason i asked was cause ive only seen snipits of him inTNa nothing amazing and he was going around slagging flair and haitch off however it was most proablly for publicity and i took notice so..
Back to top Go down
http://thewrestling.niceboard.net/index.htm
bazz23-v2 ®™
Wrestling God
Wrestling God
bazz23-v2 ®™

PostSubject: Re: the best backstage stories from RING OF HELL and WCW book   the best backstage stories from RING OF HELL and WCW book EmptySat Aug 09, 2008 9:55 pm

That's crazy shit right there, I wonder if the 6min thing is true?

I might have to get me this book, is it worth the money Marty.

I'll look forward to reading more if your posting it. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.youcan't-seeme.com
Marty McFry
Wrestling God
Wrestling God
Marty McFry

PostSubject: Re: the best backstage stories from RING OF HELL and WCW book   the best backstage stories from RING OF HELL and WCW book EmptySat Aug 09, 2008 10:43 pm

Bazz, the WCW book has most of the Hogan stories in but ive already sold that on, however ROH im selling on ebay if you want to bid on it, there are only 3 copies on there and my one is the only one without a buy it now.

i'll post the rest of the stories tomorrow.
The one about Angle is some seriously fucked up shit.
Back to top Go down
villarule19
Regular
Regular

PostSubject: Re: the best backstage stories from RING OF HELL and WCW book   the best backstage stories from RING OF HELL and WCW book EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 5:19 pm

Im going to have to buy this book. Having a hell of a time trying to get my hands on bret harts autobiography as its not released over here yet.

Just bought dust rhopdes and bill wats so will have fun on holiday
Back to top Go down
Discopants
Spammer
Spammer
Discopants

PostSubject: Re: the best backstage stories from RING OF HELL and WCW book   the best backstage stories from RING OF HELL and WCW book EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 5:31 pm

Aye, I've been looking for a copy of the Hart book for ages. Still costs like £40 if you want a copy sent over, pain in the arse. Supposed to be good too.

I've read The Death Of WCW, it was pretty good although it's tricky to know how much of these books are true. Never read Ring of Hell though, might get it.
Back to top Go down
Marty McFry
Wrestling God
Wrestling God
Marty McFry

PostSubject: Re: the best backstage stories from RING OF HELL and WCW book   the best backstage stories from RING OF HELL and WCW book EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 6:50 pm

I get the feeling that in both books the quotes attributed to "sources within wwe/wcw" are infact either made up or a chinese whisper.
Back to top Go down
Discopants
Spammer
Spammer
Discopants

PostSubject: Re: the best backstage stories from RING OF HELL and WCW book   the best backstage stories from RING OF HELL and WCW book EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 7:37 pm

Aye lol.

"Unauthorised" is another way of dressing up porkies.
Back to top Go down
the-gaffer
Wrestling God
Wrestling God
the-gaffer

PostSubject: Re: the best backstage stories from RING OF HELL and WCW book   the best backstage stories from RING OF HELL and WCW book EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 7:42 pm

excellent read Marty, would appreciate more of the stories

Its not hard to imagine Hogan being mentioned so many times though, it doesn't have to be anything major, just talking about an up and coming match or a result from last week or basically just talking about someone who could be gunning for the champ (Hogan)

Its a lot easier than many would think
Back to top Go down
Doomhammer
Regular
Regular
Doomhammer

PostSubject: Re: the best backstage stories from RING OF HELL and WCW book   the best backstage stories from RING OF HELL and WCW book EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 7:51 pm

I heard ring of hell was unique in that it actually sited its sources.
Back to top Go down
MaFish1
Admin
Admin
MaFish1

PostSubject: Re: the best backstage stories from RING OF HELL and WCW book   the best backstage stories from RING OF HELL and WCW book EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 8:31 pm

Great read Marty, I knew Hogan was a dick but a fucking 2 faced sly egomaniac, didn't think he went that far... Shocked The first Nirto, I dont think it was quite as often as they were saying there, but it did keep switching over to Hogan at that shop, he had the main event too. Plus Nitro's were only an hour long to start with... Here it is... http://hardcoretv.info/movie/637-WCW_Nitro_September_4_1995.html

the point about him asking Jericho to take him with, if Vince wanted Hogan, and Hogan wanted to go it would've surely happened then, i feel Vince would've taken him, he did 2-3 year's later anyway, when they weren't part of the competition, so he obviously would've been interested in atleast talking to him about it?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/mafishthadon1
Marty McFry
Wrestling God
Wrestling God
Marty McFry

PostSubject: Re: the best backstage stories from RING OF HELL and WCW book   the best backstage stories from RING OF HELL and WCW book EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 9:54 pm

The reason I think Hogan asking to go with Jericho to WWE is Hogan and his ways were no doubt the number one reason he wasnt sticking around WCW in the 1st place.

There are three former bookers for WWE that give quotes regarding backstage goings on in WWE in ring of hell but the most juicy gossip is credited to "my un-named wwe source" or "my well placed wwe superstar source"

Now about to post the other stories. put them in a new thread.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: the best backstage stories from RING OF HELL and WCW book   the best backstage stories from RING OF HELL and WCW book Empty

Back to top Go down

the best backstage stories from RING OF HELL and WCW book
Page 1 of 1