Pro-Heel-Wrestling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pro-Heel-Wrestling

For All Your Wrestling Needs, Please Redirect To The New Forum http://wweandtna.niceboard.org

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Managers- Need them?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
invincibleILeak
Wrestling God
Wrestling God
invincibleILeak

Managers- Need them? Empty
PostSubject: Managers- Need them?   Managers- Need them? EmptyTue Jun 10, 2008 9:56 pm

In the past managers were i big part of wrestling with lots of them, some very charismatic and entertaining, they also allowed characters to develop and grow.

But nowadays managers are alot rarer. If they are managers they are normal divas, divas that can't wrestle so they manage, it doesn't help the character and they don't act as a mouthpiece they are just for show.

Recently we've had Davari and Estrada both who were ok but not as good as the ones in the past.

Many people on all brands need a manager, such as The Great Khali and Umaga.

The Great Khali, has had quite a few managers, none have really helped him and what I think he needs is someone who acts like a sports agent or circus manager, or to that effect. They are quick speaking and are always saying how big and great he is, I think this would be really good for Khali, who I here isn't good at English in real life.

Umaga, he could have someone like above but IMO he should be allowed to speak, even if it's a few words, I think it would be better for the character if he lost some of the savage gimmci kand began to speak.

Big Daddy V, I think, split with Matt Stryker, I think they need to join again, matt although he's ok in the ring would loook good and add to his character if he hides behing Big Daddy V.

Undertaker? The man who has had a few managers in the past has been critisised because of his lack of mic work, would it be better if he came back with a manager, paul Bearer would be a good idea, or even someone who is scared of the Undertaker so he goes onto his side so that he's not in his path.

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
thegunman84
Spammer
Spammer
thegunman84

PostSubject: Re: Managers- Need them?   Managers- Need them? EmptyTue Jun 10, 2008 10:30 pm

Yeah I agree that we do need more managers in wrestling, a lot of the time back in the day, it was the managers who got the majority of the heat for their clients. Guys like Bobby Heenan and Jim Cornette are sorely missed in the modern day. When Estrada arrived in WWE as the manager of Umaga, it was like a breath of fresh air, for too long the managers role was nothing but a pair of tits, that aren't any better at talking or getting heat than their clients are. WWE doesn't really seem to be interested in this route however, and it's the fans that are truly missing out. Outside of WWE, the 2 greatest managers around today i think, are James Mitchell, whose satanical character is brilliant to watch, and Larry Sweeney whose character harks back to the glory days of managers of the 80s.
Back to top Go down
invincibleILeak
Wrestling God
Wrestling God
invincibleILeak

PostSubject: Re: Managers- Need them?   Managers- Need them? EmptyTue Jun 10, 2008 10:36 pm

i was thinking about Santino, he is great on the mic and very funny, charasmatic etc. but he's not the best in the ring. I would was wondering would he be willing to become a manager, maybe wrestling one or two matches, for me this would be great, although I don't know who he would manage.
Back to top Go down
thegunman84
Spammer
Spammer
thegunman84

PostSubject: Re: Managers- Need them?   Managers- Need them? EmptyTue Jun 10, 2008 10:45 pm

Yeah I've thought that for a while too actually. At least that way I could stomach Santino who currently annoys me because of his crappy ring skills, but if he were to become a manager, then I'd certainly be willing to accept him.
Back to top Go down
the-gaffer
Wrestling God
Wrestling God
the-gaffer

PostSubject: Re: Managers- Need them?   Managers- Need them? EmptyTue Jun 10, 2008 10:48 pm

I think Guns has hit the nail on the head

Managers are needed, but only guys who can offer us something the wrestlers can not

I don't want a manger who can't talk, I don't want one who can not take bumps and is there really any point in a manager who can not generate heat/pop??????????

Khali does need a manager if he is to remain heel, if he is to turn face then all he has to do is come to the aid of faces from time to time like Andre did in the end, it will never get him over as main event material, but I think we can all safely say that ain't going to happen anyway.

Umaga needs a manger/Consultant

Jim Cornette is probably the best still around at this moment in time, obviously he has other things to do and is under contract with TNA but no one can tell me he is alone in his quality. there is surely barrel loads of guys out there who have spent the 80s and 90s watchign and learning from guys like Hennan, Cornette and Hart, surely there is guys out there to do those jobs, hell actors would be suffice if guys inside the business can't be found
Back to top Go down
thegunman84
Spammer
Spammer
thegunman84

PostSubject: Re: Managers- Need them?   Managers- Need them? EmptyTue Jun 10, 2008 11:09 pm

The thing with Umaga is, a manager/handler is necessary because of his savage type character. I'm not sure if it was someone on this board or not who said this, but without a handler how does this savage know when to go to the ring, and who to attack? Surely with a character like his he would have no comprehension of who would be his enemies, he needs a manipulative manager who uses Umaga to do his bidding. I seriously hope they decide to reinstate Estrada as his manager as he was excellent in the role, but was kinda wasted in the GM position.
Back to top Go down
the-gaffer
Wrestling God
Wrestling God
the-gaffer

PostSubject: Re: Managers- Need them?   Managers- Need them? EmptyTue Jun 10, 2008 11:40 pm

I understand what your saying with regards to Umaga and I agree although any play on that savage type role just makes me think of crappy Kamala and Kimshe
Back to top Go down
thegunman84
Spammer
Spammer
thegunman84

PostSubject: Re: Managers- Need them?   Managers- Need them? EmptyTue Jun 10, 2008 11:54 pm

Yeah Kamala sucked and Kim Shee was a terrible choice as manager. Imagine Umaga being managed by a Bobby Heenan type, and you have a whole different picture. Heenan would have been capable of actually giving Umaga a focus and a real character, wheras Kim Shee would have added nothing to the role.
Back to top Go down
the-gaffer
Wrestling God
Wrestling God
the-gaffer

PostSubject: Re: Managers- Need them?   Managers- Need them? EmptyWed Jun 11, 2008 12:01 am

I agree, but we are talking about la cremedle la creme of pro wrestling managers in Heenan

If Heenan managed Big Daddy V or his 'brother' Mo from Men on Mission I would have faith in him getting over
Back to top Go down
thegunman84
Spammer
Spammer
thegunman84

PostSubject: Re: Managers- Need them?   Managers- Need them? EmptyWed Jun 11, 2008 12:22 am

That's true, but that's also what I'm getting at. If WWE were to train some people as managers from the beginning then it's possible we could have a similar level of talent being used to help the current wrestlers on the roster. I don't know if he's under contract or not, but Larry Sweeney of RoH would be an excellent choice right now. To me, he comes across as a modern day cross between Heenan and Paul E. Dangerously.
Back to top Go down
King Macca
Regular
Regular
King Macca

PostSubject: Re: Managers- Need them?   Managers- Need them? EmptyWed Jun 11, 2008 12:26 am

Being that a certain Million Dollar Man has made a couple of appearances as of late (promoting his book and announcing his son's debut) wonder if he may be enticed back to some permanent role?
Back to top Go down
the-gaffer
Wrestling God
Wrestling God
the-gaffer

PostSubject: Re: Managers- Need them?   Managers- Need them? EmptyWed Jun 11, 2008 12:30 am

I am not so sure Maccs, I loved Di Biase and his promos but I never really bought into him as the leader of the Million Dollar Corperation

I have no doubt he would add quality I just don't think it would be enough, with his son in the E I feel there would be to much emphasis on linking them together when his son looks and sounds like he can go it alone
Back to top Go down
King Macca
Regular
Regular
King Macca

PostSubject: Re: Managers- Need them?   Managers- Need them? EmptyWed Jun 11, 2008 12:35 am

There obviously would be the pressure to link them up but I think of any of the guys that are available to manage at present he'd be an excellent choice, especially as an alternative to Vince for the cashrich megalomaniac.
Each trying to outdo each other and outbuy the wrestlers services.
Back to top Go down
the-gaffer
Wrestling God
Wrestling God
the-gaffer

PostSubject: Re: Managers- Need them?   Managers- Need them? EmptyWed Jun 11, 2008 12:38 am

Don't get me wrong, I love the guy, I think he would improve the WWE I just can't see it happening at present, like you say, he done a few promos for the WWE because he wanted to promote his book

Case of I'll scratch your back if you scratch mines, also he is a fully pledged born again Christian, I don't know if he has the same view on a heel character as Michaels
Back to top Go down
King Macca
Regular
Regular
King Macca

PostSubject: Re: Managers- Need them?   Managers- Need them? EmptyWed Jun 11, 2008 12:42 am

Not another bloody one.
Christ do they have bible school in WWE now or something?
Back to top Go down
thegunman84
Spammer
Spammer
thegunman84

PostSubject: Re: Managers- Need them?   Managers- Need them? EmptyWed Jun 11, 2008 12:46 am

I don't think his religion would get in the way of him playing a character that's a heel. AJ Styles is a born again christian, and it's never stopped him playing heelish roles, it's just Michaels being Michaels which stops him from doing it.
Back to top Go down
the-gaffer
Wrestling God
Wrestling God
the-gaffer

PostSubject: Re: Managers- Need them?   Managers- Need them? EmptyWed Jun 11, 2008 12:51 am

Maybe, I could not say for certain if thats the reason Michaels has not went heel

I know he has used that as an excuse, I don't know Shawn Michaels to comment on how he is
Back to top Go down
invincibleILeak
Wrestling God
Wrestling God
invincibleILeak

PostSubject: Re: Managers- Need them?   Managers- Need them? EmptyWed Jun 11, 2008 3:20 pm

I would love to see rather than the Million Dollar man teaming up with his son but going against his son
Back to top Go down
Doomhammer
Regular
Regular
Doomhammer

PostSubject: Re: Managers- Need them?   Managers- Need them? EmptyThu Jun 12, 2008 3:15 pm

Macclads wrote:
Not another bloody one.
Christ do they have bible school in WWE now or something?

yes, and inside of it is a vending machine that sells all sorts of drugs

James Mitchell is amazing. He's the only person who could ever use the phrase "Giggle Maniacally" as a threat.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Managers- Need them?   Managers- Need them? Empty

Back to top Go down

Managers- Need them?
Page 1 of 1