Pro-Heel-Wrestling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pro-Heel-Wrestling

For All Your Wrestling Needs, Please Redirect To The New Forum http://wweandtna.niceboard.org

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Where does Hulk Hogan rank amongst the all time greats, and what makes a main eventer?

Go down 
+3
MaFish1
bazz23-v2 ®™
Deputy Dave
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Deputy Dave
Muppet
Muppet

Where does Hulk Hogan rank amongst the all time greats, and what makes a main eventer? Empty
PostSubject: Where does Hulk Hogan rank amongst the all time greats, and what makes a main eventer?   Where does Hulk Hogan rank amongst the all time greats, and what makes a main eventer? EmptySat Aug 09, 2008 10:54 pm

Right its about time I made a proper post on here. The question I am asking is simple- where does Hulk Hogan rank among the all time greats?

Hogan was defintely not as good a wrestler as Flair, but he still out drew him big time. He had 'it'- in the early eighties the crowd loved him. But is this a view held amongst people here?

I suppose you could extend this by asking what makes a main eventer such a huge draw. Is it:

Wresting ability
Promos
Connection with the crowd/how over the guy is
Storylines
Other reasons?

Hope you can give some thoughts on this. I dOnt really know that much about wrestling, but I just decided I might as well make a post on something! Go easy, OK? lol!
Back to top Go down
bazz23-v2 ®™
Wrestling God
Wrestling God
bazz23-v2 ®™

Where does Hulk Hogan rank amongst the all time greats, and what makes a main eventer? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where does Hulk Hogan rank amongst the all time greats, and what makes a main eventer?   Where does Hulk Hogan rank amongst the all time greats, and what makes a main eventer? EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 1:05 am

Good stuff.

Out of your whole list I would say wresting ability is probably the least important, because the likes of Hogan/Cena would of never been top stars if it were down to that. Connection with the crowd is probably most important IMO, something that all main eventers need to have(to stay there atleast).

As for Hogan, I can hand on hart say I was NEVER a fan, not even as a kid, I could never(and still can't) understand why he is over anywhere outside the USA.

That being said, he is the biggest "name" the industry has seen, but IMO he WAS just the right guy, with the right look, at the right time. If he started his wrestling career in today's business, he would be a nobody. As for greatest?, well IMO Hogan is far from that.
Back to top Go down
http://www.youcan't-seeme.com
MaFish1
Admin
Admin
MaFish1

PostSubject: Re: Where does Hulk Hogan rank amongst the all time greats, and what makes a main eventer?   Where does Hulk Hogan rank amongst the all time greats, and what makes a main eventer? EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 4:23 am

Connection with the crowd over ANY thing else. Hogan said it best on that reality show he did, you can have all the ability but if you cant connect with the crowd it's useless, there's guy's half killing themself's every match to get that over *COUGH*HARDY*COUGH* when Hogan and other's only need to flex a muscle for 3 minute's to get the same reaction. TBH not a fan of either show pony's OR spot monkey's but I know which is more sucessfull.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/mafishthadon1
King Macca
Regular
Regular
King Macca

PostSubject: Re: Where does Hulk Hogan rank amongst the all time greats, and what makes a main eventer?   Where does Hulk Hogan rank amongst the all time greats, and what makes a main eventer? EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 10:35 am

Lets break it down and look at some of the other guys to have made it into iconic stars:

Stone Cold Steve Austin

Good in all four, weakest point probably wrestling but still good in that but more a brawler. The sound of the breaking glass alone got the entire audience on its feet.

Bret Hart

Wrestling and crowd reaction his strongest points, felt Owen was better on the mic and he didnt get overly used in storylines back then, only in the tailend of his WWF career did they start to develop plots more.

Sting

Again holds it up well in all 4 points. Have never been a fan myself though. His promos though often just consist of him sitting in the rafters and staring like a pervert in someones backgarden.

THe Rock

The best promo'er IMO to ever grace the ring. Involved in the most exciting time and in the best rivalries. Some Cena-esque moves though (People's elbow?).

HHH

Everyone calls him nowadays but he's up there. One of the best finishers in the business. Has the crowd eating out of his hand, holds the mic well and has been in some great stories. Just shame he's a twat.

HBK

Pretty much see above but with the ability to get flung into the turnbuckle upside down.

THe Undertaker

Best Gimmick wrestler without question, for me with best ability though is he makes weaker people look good. He made Batista have a good match! He does though always force them to eventually lose to him. Much better wrestler than most of the above guys.

Kurt Angle

Probably the total package. Kurt has it all. His wrestling ability is 2nd to none. His promos are A* grade. His reaction off the fans has always been great and he's had some cracking storylines. Will probably do a Benoit though in the next couple of years.
Back to top Go down
thegunman84
Spammer
Spammer
thegunman84

PostSubject: Re: Where does Hulk Hogan rank amongst the all time greats, and what makes a main eventer?   Where does Hulk Hogan rank amongst the all time greats, and what makes a main eventer? EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 4:09 pm

Never liked Hogan, his wrestling ability was actually ok when he was in Japan, but in the US he knew he didn't have to do much to get a reaction. Never found his promos interesting just a bunch of ramblings really, but the character he had of Mr patriotic American, defender of everything right was a perfect gimmick coupled with the fact he was made the main focus in the WWF when it first got big, even when the likes of Savage became champ Hogan still had to steal the spotlight. I think that if that gimmick and push had been given to any roided up monster then it would have worked just as well. Of course his role in Rocky III obviously helped too.
Back to top Go down
bazz23-v2 ®™
Wrestling God
Wrestling God
bazz23-v2 ®™

PostSubject: Re: Where does Hulk Hogan rank amongst the all time greats, and what makes a main eventer?   Where does Hulk Hogan rank amongst the all time greats, and what makes a main eventer? EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 5:04 pm

post this in chatbox, you'll get more of a response.

Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
http://www.youcan't-seeme.com
Doomhammer
Regular
Regular
Doomhammer

PostSubject: Re: Where does Hulk Hogan rank amongst the all time greats, and what makes a main eventer?   Where does Hulk Hogan rank amongst the all time greats, and what makes a main eventer? EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 8:08 pm

lol. I never really liked Hogan, but no one can deny he's the most iconic wrestler in world. No one has been bigger, and no one is better known, than Hogan.
Back to top Go down
Discopants
Spammer
Spammer
Discopants

PostSubject: Re: Where does Hulk Hogan rank amongst the all time greats, and what makes a main eventer?   Where does Hulk Hogan rank amongst the all time greats, and what makes a main eventer? EmptyMon Aug 11, 2008 6:27 am

I don't particularly like Hogan or his matches but I have a lot of respect for him and what he brings to the table.

Whatever it is that gets you "over", he had it. And he had it more than anyone else in the history of wrestling. He was amazingly over as during the Hulkamania period as a face but he also pulled off the "Hollywood" gimmick off perfectly too. Them two characters were IMo the perfect face and the perfect heel for that particular time and setting. He got amazing heat with "Hollywood" and the crowd loved "Hulkamania". And honestly, he wasn't that bad in the ring. He may not have been technically gifted but he could (as they say) "tell a story" in the ring. I've watched plenty of entertaining Hogan matches from every stage in his career and if he really was that shit, then we wouldn't be talking about him now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Where does Hulk Hogan rank amongst the all time greats, and what makes a main eventer?   Where does Hulk Hogan rank amongst the all time greats, and what makes a main eventer? Empty

Back to top Go down

Where does Hulk Hogan rank amongst the all time greats, and what makes a main eventer?
Page 1 of 1