Pro-Heel-Wrestling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pro-Heel-Wrestling

For All Your Wrestling Needs, Please Redirect To The New Forum http://wweandtna.niceboard.org

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Foreigners in WWF/E

Go down 
+7
Pablo
rock from niceboard
Doomhammer
bazz23-v2 ®™
Cruiserjim1
Sexton_hardcastle
Discopants
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Discopants
Spammer
Spammer
Discopants

Foreigners in WWF/E Empty
PostSubject: Foreigners in WWF/E   Foreigners in WWF/E EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 12:42 am

I was thinking about foreign wrestlers in the WWE and I reckon it's that extra bit harder for them to make progress and push on past that mid-card stage. I don't mean foreign as in Canadian or someone who happened to be born in Uganda but was raised in Kentucky, I mean people who are obviously "Un-American" like Carlito or Kingston.

Thinking about past WWF/E champions, how many non-American or Canadian champions do you know or remember (I'm talking say post 1980 here)? There's Yokozuna, Andre the Giant, Eddie Guerrero, Mysterio, Iron Sheik (one reign for a month) and Khali (this is kinda iffy too) are about the only ones I know of. Admittedly there are obviously more Americans but 5 in the last 28 years isn't much is it?

Take foreign wrestlers now too, how many do you see breaking into the the major title races.

Carlito, I don't really think so, never been a big fan of his and don't reckon he has what it takes.

Umaga, doubtful he'll go anywhere Kane hasn't, probably do less despite being good enough to do it all IMO.

Khali has had a reign but it was pretty short, and shite. I don't think he'll go that far again.

Kozlov, again I can see him reaching mid card, maybe the odd title shot if he stays long enough but I don't think we'll see a World title win from him.

Funaki, the exception here, will headline next Wrestlemania.

Jimmy Wang Yang, definitely not, I doubt we'll ever see another Japanese champion.

Chavo isn't going to make it big time.

Regal, again some might disagree but I really can't imagine him ever winning one of the big titles.

Super Crazy isn't going to do much.

Estrada, very doubtful although I reckon he might have a decent run one day.

Finlay, far too old so it's kinda irrelevant.

And finally, Kingston, but I think he will actually make it all the way.

I think that's most of the roster but is it just the fact there are less foreign wrestlers or is it because it's harder for them to be liked be American audiences, thus it's harder for them to get over?
Back to top Go down
Sexton_hardcastle
Admin
Admin
Sexton_hardcastle

PostSubject: Re: Foreigners in WWF/E   Foreigners in WWF/E EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 1:06 pm

Indeed sir.

An american is purely a more sellable product, they speak the same, they grew up in the same way, its more conforting for them.

I dont think it should be a problem where you come from, but if its who sells most, the americans will usually end up on top in that respect and canadians of course.

But another key to it i think is, out of the ones you mentioned, only kozlov has the size and skill to maybe hold a world title, but his gimmick doesnt really allow that to be the case, who will buy a kozlov t shirt?

Unless they really want russians to watch for a while, they could make him champion, more susessfully than khali too lol as people could bare to watch still.

Another case to do with gimmicks as well is, someone like umaga isnt currently seen as knowing what the wrestling company is, he just like to hurt people. Making someone who doesnt look like they want a championship, champion, is a bit silly.

And gimmicks make the wwe so I cant see a rapid change of events
Back to top Go down
https://heel-turns.forumotion.co.uk
Cruiserjim1
Spammer
Spammer
Cruiserjim1

PostSubject: Re: Foreigners in WWF/E   Foreigners in WWF/E EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 1:10 pm

Someone who I dont think was a foreigner but certainly did play one.

Muhammed Hassain what a character this lad was. Never heard heat like what he got the Yanks are so patriotic its unbelivable and this fella came over and just burnt the flag everyone lost it. I liked him thought he was good and what a gimmick instant heat
Back to top Go down
bazz23-v2 ®™
Wrestling God
Wrestling God
bazz23-v2 ®™

PostSubject: Re: Foreigners in WWF/E   Foreigners in WWF/E EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 3:52 pm

Discopants wrote:

Thinking about past WWF/E champions, how many non-American or Canadian champions do you know or remember (I'm talking say post 1980 here)? There's Yokozuna, Andre the Giant, Eddie Guerrero, Mysterio,

Both Eddie and Ray are Americans mate.

Which makes it even worse I guess.

Paul Burchill had the tools, but for someone reason they have been taken away from him, comparing his before WWE work with now, just shows me what WWE does to people.

There is a simple explanation as to why there have only been a handful of overseas champs, and that's because Xenophobia is rampant in the USA.
Back to top Go down
http://www.youcan't-seeme.com
Discopants
Spammer
Spammer
Discopants

PostSubject: Re: Foreigners in WWF/E   Foreigners in WWF/E EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 4:34 pm

It doesn't help that WWE tend to give every non-American a stupid national gimmick. Regal has to have pictures of the Queen and drink tea. Kingston has to come down dressed in Jamaican colours. Umaga has to wear face paint and shout a lot because all Samoan people obviously do that. WWE deliberately mark them out which makes most of them a bit of a "comedy" character rather than someone who could possibly win stuff.
Back to top Go down
Doomhammer
Regular
Regular
Doomhammer

PostSubject: Re: Foreigners in WWF/E   Foreigners in WWF/E EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 6:37 pm

[quote="bazz23-v2 ®™"]
Discopants wrote:

There is a simple explanation as to why there have only been a handful of overseas champs, and that's because Xenophobia is rampant in the USA.

we're scared of skin colors different from ours, not nationalities.

You are correct however, the majority of champions in an American wrestling show are indeed american. As much as WWE claims to be a world wide entity, its main focus is in America, which leads to more American wrestlers, and then more American champions. I'm sure you all knew this before.

However, while WWE is the largest wrestling company, it's still an American company. How many Americans have been champ in New Japan vs Japanese. Ditto for AAA with for a Mexican to American ratio. These aren't retorical, i'm honestly curious as to how much the location of the company has to do with the champ nationality.
Back to top Go down
Sexton_hardcastle
Admin
Admin
Sexton_hardcastle

PostSubject: Re: Foreigners in WWF/E   Foreigners in WWF/E EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 6:40 pm

Doomhammer wrote:

we're scared of skin colors different from ours, not nationalities

LOL

no your scared that if anyone from any other country is winning more, then america is seen as weak.

the one you said , is just racism lol
Back to top Go down
Discopants
Spammer
Spammer
Discopants

PostSubject: Re: Foreigners in WWF/E   Foreigners in WWF/E EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 6:47 pm

Japan use a lot of Americans, really helps there guys get over. The only Japanese champion in any western wrestling company I know of is Yokozuna.

However, in the top two promotions in Japan; Vader, Terry Gordy, Stan Hansen, Scott Norton, Brock Lesnar, Bob Sapp, Terry Funk and there's a lot more in smaller promotions. This is just in the last ten years too, so Japan welcome American talent but not the other way around.
Back to top Go down
Sexton_hardcastle
Admin
Admin
Sexton_hardcastle

PostSubject: Re: Foreigners in WWF/E   Foreigners in WWF/E EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 6:54 pm

pantomime.

simple.

thats what it is like.

so mysterious foreighn people are bad n lose
Back to top Go down
Doomhammer
Regular
Regular
Doomhammer

PostSubject: Re: Foreigners in WWF/E   Foreigners in WWF/E EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 6:54 pm

you named 7 Americans in 2 japanese companies, vs what, 5 americans in 1 company?
Back to top Go down
bazz23-v2 ®™
Wrestling God
Wrestling God
bazz23-v2 ®™

PostSubject: Re: Foreigners in WWF/E   Foreigners in WWF/E EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 6:57 pm

That makes no sense what so ever.
Back to top Go down
Discopants
Spammer
Spammer
Discopants

PostSubject: Re: Foreigners in WWF/E   Foreigners in WWF/E EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 7:02 pm

No, I'm saying there's loads of Americans who are really over in Japan yet there's one Japanese wrestler on the roster who nobody gives a shit about. Compare the success of Americans in Japan to the success of the Japanese in America.
Back to top Go down
Doomhammer
Regular
Regular
Doomhammer

PostSubject: Re: Foreigners in WWF/E   Foreigners in WWF/E EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 7:09 pm

reading it back now, your right.

Yokozuma, Khali, Eddie, Rey, Andre, Iron Shiek were all WWE champs.

In New Japan, since 1987, there have been 4 american champs (Lesnar, Vader, Scott Norton, and Bob Sapp).

In All Japan, since 1989, there have been 4 American champs (Vader, Hansen, Williams, Gordy)

Using these 2 companies as (as the only older japanese companies i know) there are fewer American champs in Japan then forigen champs in American wrestling.
Back to top Go down
Doomhammer
Regular
Regular
Doomhammer

PostSubject: Re: Foreigners in WWF/E   Foreigners in WWF/E EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 7:10 pm

Discopants wrote:
No, I'm saying there's loads of Americans who are really over in Japan yet there's one Japanese wrestler on the roster who nobody gives a shit about. Compare the success of Americans in Japan to the success of the Japanese in America.

at least in TNA i liked the guys on Team Japan. They were awsome.
Back to top Go down
rock from niceboard
Regular
Regular

PostSubject: Re: Foreigners in WWF/E   Foreigners in WWF/E EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 7:10 pm

This is a honest (and maybe stupid) question but did the British Bulldog ever win the WWF title? I just ask this because he is probably the most famous British wrestler ever to step into a WWF/E ring that he might have become famous for becoming the first ever British WWF Champion. Correct me if I am wrong.

Back to the topic, I pretty much agree with everything that has been said. It is harder for a foreigner to win world titles in WWE partly due to the fact that most Americans are dumb, racist and xenophobic and would hate to see any non American become world champion. Imagine if Muhammad Hassan had won the US title? The fans would have gone apeshit!
Back to top Go down
Discopants
Spammer
Spammer
Discopants

PostSubject: Re: Foreigners in WWF/E   Foreigners in WWF/E EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 7:19 pm

Nah, the Bulldog never won the big one, was always close but never really got there despite being as good as most of the others around at that time. But of course, he wasn't American.

Another example of how xenophobic Americans can be is when Bret Hart went all Canadian. Hart was about as face as it got and they made him into a nationalist to get heat and it really worked. The USA fans hated how he carried the Canadian flag around. I remember when Bret was fighting HHH and Michaels came down and shoved the Canada flag up his nose and he was cheered for that sort of stuff. Meaning it's OK to desecrate another country's flag but not for someone to do it to them.
Back to top Go down
bazz23-v2 ®™
Wrestling God
Wrestling God
bazz23-v2 ®™

PostSubject: Re: Foreigners in WWF/E   Foreigners in WWF/E EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 7:20 pm

Doomhammer wrote:
reading it back now, your right.

Yokozuma, Khali, Eddie, Rey, Andre, Iron Shiek were all WWE champs.

Ray and Eddie are/were Americans so don't count.
Back to top Go down
Sexton_hardcastle
Admin
Admin
Sexton_hardcastle

PostSubject: Re: Foreigners in WWF/E   Foreigners in WWF/E EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 7:22 pm

he does have mexico written on him though farao
Back to top Go down
bazz23-v2 ®™
Wrestling God
Wrestling God
bazz23-v2 ®™

PostSubject: Re: Foreigners in WWF/E   Foreigners in WWF/E EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 7:40 pm

So, he's still a yank.
Back to top Go down
rock from niceboard
Regular
Regular

PostSubject: Re: Foreigners in WWF/E   Foreigners in WWF/E EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 7:41 pm

This is turning into a what's wrong with American wrestling fans discussion. HA

Like you said the only foreigner I can see winning a world title at the moment is Kofi Kingston. The guy has all the tools, a couple more years and I can see him becoming WWE Champion. Plus the fans actually like him which is always a bonus. Finlay could possibly win the ECW title but I don't see him holding it for long.
Back to top Go down
Pablo
Regular
Regular
Pablo

PostSubject: Re: Foreigners in WWF/E   Foreigners in WWF/E EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 7:43 pm

kingston is a good performer. however i dunno what it is about him, but i dont think hes world champ material
Back to top Go down
invincibleILeak
Wrestling God
Wrestling God
invincibleILeak

PostSubject: Re: Foreigners in WWF/E   Foreigners in WWF/E EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 8:02 pm

The reason it's easier to have foreigners play the stereo-typical view is; Americans recognise them e.g. he drinks tea and talks about the Queen he's English, which means it's alot easier to create heat if you don't really have to build the character up.
Back to top Go down
Sexton_hardcastle
Admin
Admin
Sexton_hardcastle

PostSubject: Re: Foreigners in WWF/E   Foreigners in WWF/E EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 8:28 pm

if kingston wins within 3 years, deary me, pisses all over the ones who have worked their anus' off does it.

-------------------

Hes representing the wrong country too, which disqualifies him lol. cos ghana is less known than jamaica, so again its foreighn gimmickery. jamaica is more acceptable than a country that 75% of the americans wont have a clue where it is!

-------------------
Back to top Go down
Papashango
Actimel Regular
Actimel Regular
Papashango

PostSubject: Re: Foreigners in WWF/E   Foreigners in WWF/E EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 8:34 pm

yokozuna was samoan
Back to top Go down
Discopants
Spammer
Spammer
Discopants

PostSubject: Re: Foreigners in WWF/E   Foreigners in WWF/E EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 8:42 pm

Really? Never knew that.

So again WWE take a Samoan dude dress him as a Sumo wrestler, have him managed by Mr.Fuji and carry the Japanese flag. Interesting.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Foreigners in WWF/E   Foreigners in WWF/E Empty

Back to top Go down

Foreigners in WWF/E
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pro-Heel-Wrestling :: Debate And Media :: Wrestling Debate-
Jump to: